We’ve been brightening up a particularly grey and dreary Monday at Great British Food Festival HQ, with Nepalese Momos!
Nick, our resident Momo enthusiast, promised to make them for the rest of us in the office as none of us had ever tried them. We all got stuck in (although admittedly, Nick had already made the dough for us first), each of us wrapping our own little parcels – some less momo shaped than others – before we shared them together over lunch. Such a simple recipe really, but wow, are they delicious! Fun to make too, it’s a great recipe to get all the family involved!
Nepalese Momos – The Recipe
140g Plain flour
500g Mince meat
2 Onions – finely chopped
Fresh ginger – thumb-sized piece finely chopped
4/5 Spring onion – finely chopped
2/3 Garlic cloves – finely chopped
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Tumeric
1 tsp Chilli powder
1 tsp Garam masala
1 tsp Momo masala
1 tsp White pepper
1 tsp Salt
Coriander – small bunch
100g Salted Peanuts
6 Small Tomatoes
2 Spring Onions
1 Green Garlic
1 tsp Tumeric
2 Green Chillis
1/2 a cup of water
1) Mix the flour and water to make a dough. Knead for at least 15 minutes to make it smooth and elastic.
2) Combine all the other momo ingredients together in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
3) Place all of the peanut sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth (or to your taste). Heat the sauce in a pan. Add a touch of chilli powder and salt to taste.
4) Roll out dough to a few mm thick and cut 6-8cm diameter circles with a glass or cutter.
5) Fill steamer with water and start to boil.
6) Take a circle of dough in the fingers of one hand. Pinch one end then turn and pinch again. Use your thumb to push the mix into the momo.
7) Once the momo has been pinched all the way around the edge, twist and push down to complete, sealing the momo.
8) Dip in oil (to stop the momo sticking to the steamer) and place on the steamer shelf.
9) Repeat until all of the dough and filling mixture has been used.
10) Steam for around 5 minutes.
Thank you very much to Nick and to the Nepal Foundation for sharing this fabulous recipe with us! Let’s hope 2017’s Mondays continue to be as delightful!