It appears we talk a lot about chocolate cake around here. Well, sorry, not sorry! And as it’s international chocolate cake day, how could we not?!
It’s the ideal opportunity to share this divine recipe with you from our 2017 recipe book, brought to you from the guys over at Wye Valley Brewery:
Dorothy Goodbody’s Luxurious Chocolate Cake
275g (9 oz) dark soft brown sugar
125g (4 oz) unsalted butter
170g (6oz) plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200 ml (7 fl oz) Dorothy Goodbody’s Wholesome Stout
75g (3 0z) Cocoa Powder
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4).
2. Line a 19cm (7.5 inch) springform tin.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together.
4. Add the eggs gradually and beat until pale & fluffy.
5. Sift flour, bicarbonate & baking powder.
6. In another bowl, slowly mix the beer into the cocoa.
7. Alternately add cocoa mix and flour mix to the butter/sugar/eggs in small quantities.
8. Bake for about one hour until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
9. Leave to cool. If you are not going to eat it immediately, either clingfilm the cake once it has cooled, or store in an airtight tin.
10. Serve with warm chocolate sauce.
150g (6 oz) chocolate
250 ml (10 fl oz) double cream
1. Warm the chocolate and cream slowly together in a heavy bottomed pan on a medium heat.
2. Take off the heat before the chocolate has quite finished melting. Stir to a silky smoothness. The sauce is ready to serve now or can be reheated subsequently.